Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Worst and the Best

I just tweeted that today I watched one of the saddest and happiest events in one's life, a college graduation. Now, I graduated in December, two quarters ahead of schedule. I took classes in the summer, and had some college credit coming in to school. It didn't really seem like that big of a deal. I'd been working in an office job for a quarter, I lived a few miles from campus--I was disconnected. Now, though, I just moved back to campus, I spent all day yesterday with my friends, some of the greatest guys and girls one could ever hope to know. We ended up at the candlelight ceremony, and although it felt like I was partaking in a cult, it's hard to overlook the effect of Ohio State and its people on one's life.

Nothing is as exhilarating, though, as realizing that you're finally going to be out on your own. It's your opportunity to prove yourself to, well, yourself. We've gotten the degrees and diplomas--two in the past five years, in fact--and now it's up to us to shape our lives. Our parents will guide us, our friends and co-workers will shape us, but we have the most freedom right now, and from here on, that we have had in our entire lives. Most know my decision: a move to Egypt to pursue the dream that it seems so many have but so few execute. Each of us are going our separate ways, doing what we can to get by, or need to for our futures, acting upon this freedom to be who we want to be and shape our lives as they go.

All that was on my mind as I sat at our cookout yesterday, at the candlelight ceremony last night, at graduation in the 'Shoe today, and in the picture sessions to follow. I saw guys who I considered my closest friends in the past four years. We have the memories, the stories, the hard work, the tests, all of those cliche things that go along with college. I was not as social as one could've been, but that did not change the relationships. My friends are smart, funny and dedicated; committed to each other in a way that rivals Will Ferrell and Luke Wilson in Old School, which will undoubtedly be quoted endlessly.

So I reflect on those memories, so happy, positive and, well, fun, all while considering that they'll likely never happen again. Sure we'll stay in touch, maybe see each other now and again, but the times will change. Unfortunately, this is what we must sacrifice in order to indulge in our new found freedom. And I wonder if anything at all has the mixed emotions of a graduation. High school, college, they're very similar. We want to hold on so badly to what's behind us--those memories--and act on what's in front of us. It's clear what we're TOLD to do, what society thinks, but what is it that we WANT to do? Is that sacrifice worth it?

Those of you who read this that are younger, just consider that as you finish your high school or college. And, as a former teacher said just a couple minutes ago, remember you never stop learning.

1 comment: